Print lovers celebrate their love of print every day, but now we have an official date to brag… OCTOBER 8, 2014 is International Print Day! For a whole 24-Hours, print benefits and knowledge will be shared through social media by all those in favor of print. So what are you waiting for? Get involved! Share your favorite pro-print and print is green fact! Just tag #IPD14!
Here’s our favorite print myth: Harvesting Trees to Make Paper is Bad
While it’s true that collecting used paper and recycling it into new products is good for the environment, there’s a catch. The wood fibers in paper can be recycled only about five times before they get too weak and break down. That’s why we need fresh fiber harvested from responsibly managed forests, too. Using fresh fiber creates a sustainable cycle of high-quality recyclable material to continually replenish recycled fiber. And the paper industry’s perpetual use of trees discourages the sell-off of land for development, encourages sustainable forestry practices and supports hundreds of thousands of U.S. jobs.
- To make the global fiber supply work, a continual input of fresh fiber is needed depending on the grade of paper manufactured (from 34% for tissue to 89% for printing and writing papers). Without this continual addition of fresh fiber, the supply of usable recycled fiber available to manufacture new products would last only a few months, depending on the grade of paper being manufactured (from 1.5 months for printing and writing papers to 17.5 months for tissue).
– Metafore (now a division of GreenBlue)
- Where profitable, timber management and the revenues it generates can serve as a hedge against the conversion of forest land to other uses such as real estate development, although the extent to which it can actually do so in the face of rapid increases in land values close to urban areas will vary.
– U.S. Forest Service
- The US mailing industry provides 8.4 million jobs and $1.3 trillion in sales revenue. The production, distribution and handling of mail (including paper and printing) accounts for over 2 million jobs and over $260 million in sales revenue.
– Envelope Manufacturers Association
Read more facts from the website this information was taken from: http://twosidesna.org/Harvesting-Trees